Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Attitude of Gratitude'

"Gratitude is an attitude" . . .This phrase inspires me to adjust my attitude to always remember how many blessings and graces God provides to each of us especially in our most difficult moments.   

The past few months have been highlighted with various challenges.  One that especially weighs heavy on my heart is the reality of providing a caring and loving response for elderly or infirm loved ones.

It is difficult to witness vibrant people become dependent. It is difficult to sort out the mirade of options only to determine that none of the options is optimal. Settling for an option that is 'good enough' is difficult to embrace.  

This summer it has become apparent that my elderly parents are approaching the dreaded crossroads of independence versus dependence. Exploring solutions to this transition requries a broad perspective and openness to unique solutions. I have found strength, courage and peace from others in similar circumstances when we share experiences. A bond of caring forms which povides each of us with the knowledge that we are not alone in our struggles. Our communal prayer is a true blessing which provides comfort.

I am especially grateful for the support and patience of our clergy, staff, GIFT communities and parish family as I sort out the best options for my out of town parents. "

No comments:

Post a Comment